Whispering forest
Bright light cast softly upon
The arms of giants
This is a haiku I wrote which describes the majesty of a forest. It was the first poem I had written in a long time, so it indirectly acted as a sort of warm-up to what I would have to write later on in this project. Haiku is a poetic form originating from Japan which follows a 5-7-5 syllable pattern. What I've always liked about this particular form is that you only have a very limited amount of room in which to express your idea, and therefore must choose each word with incredible care. I used personification in line 1 (Whispering forest) and line 3 (The arms of giants), where I likened the sound of a breeze through a forest to whispering, and the massive branches of trees to arms of giants. This helps create a more vivid depiction of the scene I'm trying to portray to the reader. There's assonance at the beginning of line 2 (Bright light), which I used to improve the feel of that line, since with it the line contains the full range of vowels (from I to A to O to U).
This is a haiku I wrote which describes the majesty of a forest. It was the first poem I had written in a long time, so it indirectly acted as a sort of warm-up to what I would have to write later on in this project. Haiku is a poetic form originating from Japan which follows a 5-7-5 syllable pattern. What I've always liked about this particular form is that you only have a very limited amount of room in which to express your idea, and therefore must choose each word with incredible care. I used personification in line 1 (Whispering forest) and line 3 (The arms of giants), where I likened the sound of a breeze through a forest to whispering, and the massive branches of trees to arms of giants. This helps create a more vivid depiction of the scene I'm trying to portray to the reader. There's assonance at the beginning of line 2 (Bright light), which I used to improve the feel of that line, since with it the line contains the full range of vowels (from I to A to O to U).
Good Job Lewis! Using a haiku to write about nature is a gread idea. I agree that a haiku is difficult in that the confines of its syllable structure limit the space you can put across the message of the poem. However, I think you did great putting in several literary devices in. Arms of giants is an especially powerful descriptor. Good work!
ReplyDelete